MENA Private Equity & Venture Capital Breakfast Report: a positive outlook for H2 2023 and increasing emphasis on ESG
The third MENA Private Equity Breakfast, hosted by Pedersen & Partners and CMS MENA (UAE) LLP on May 31, 2023, addressed several key discussion topics relevant to the industry.
Senior decision-makers from Private Equity, mezzanine and venture funds, asset managers, financial institutions, advisory firms, family offices, and portfolio companies gathered in Dubai to engage in insightful conversations and exchange opinions on industry trends.
Moderated by Michael Al-Nassir, Partner and Head of Private Equity APMEA at Pedersen & Partners, together with Graham Conlon, Private Equity / M&A Partner, CMS (UAE) LLP, the panel included:
- Semih Gökmen – Managing Director, A.P. Moller Capital
- Zahid Kamal – Managing Director, Fajr Capital Group
- Taimoor Labib – Founding Partner, Head of Middle East & North Africa (MENA) and Chairman of Africa, Affirma Capital
- Omer Mahdi – Head of Middle East, M&A and Transaction Solutions, Aon
- Asaad Salhab – Senior Operating Partner, Gulf Capital Ltd;
- Ankit Sarwahi – Partner, MEVP
- Abdulaziz Shikh Al Sagha – General Partner, BECO Capital
Michael Al-Nassir had the following key takeaways from the lively debate:
- Positive outlook for early-stage, growth, and buyout investment and M&A activity in the MENA region.
- Increasing use of warranty & indemnity insurance.
- Growing emphasis on value creation, with particular focus on high-performing leadership teams.
- ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) considerations are increasingly prominent.
- The fundraising environment is witnessing heightened interest from institutional limited partners (LPs).
- Outbound investment destinations are shifting focus towards Africa and Southeast Asia.
We extend our sincerest gratitude to the panellists, co-chairs, and event partners at CMS (UAE) LLP for their invaluable contributions in ensuring the ongoing success of the third MENA Private Equity & Venture Capital Breakfast event.